Every homeowner dreams of having a beautifully landscaped lawn that will improve the appeal of their property. However, it is not easy to create and maintain a beautiful lawn, especially if the slope of your landscape is uneven since it can result in inefficient water drainage and many more problems. I, Mark Roemer, recommend you understand the importance and benefits of land grading and how it can help you maintain a great lawn.
Land grading is a process used to reshape the soil of a property to make it more level and stable than it was previously. Generally, land grading is done before new construction, but it is also done to improve the landscape of a property that isn’t draining properly. The land grading process involves the use of heavy equipment such as a skid steer loader, excavator, or backhoe.
First, the selected sections of the property that are uneven are dug up and the excavated soil and dirt are moved to another location. For instance, the soil that is dug up from the higher sections of the land is moved to the lower regions to create an even region throughout the property. Any remaining holes are filled, and the soil is compacted by professionals to level it properly or create a slight slope.
Finally, permanent vegetation is established to make the region more stable. Once the vegetation is grown and leveled, it can be used for any type of outdoor project.
Generally, land grading is done before the construction of a new home or lawn to ensure a level base. It isn’t one of the exciting tasks but essential since skipping this part can create problems for you in the long run.
Here are a few reasons why land grading is vital for a beautiful lawn:
1. It is essential for landscaping and construction projects – According to the slope regulations set by the Environmental Protection Agency, land grading is required for installing walkways and driveways on your property. This is because it is not possible to construct driveways or walkways on uneven ground or one that is filled with surface bumps or earth formations that are not suitable for such projects.
In fact, if you try to neglect this procedure, it can pose a safety risk to your yard and the foundation of your property as well. Thus, land grading is not an option but an essential process that needs to be done before you embark on a project for constructing new buildings, pathways, or landscapes.
2. It helps to prevent foundation damage due to water drainage – One of the most important reasons land grading is recommended is that it allows you to protect the foundation of your house from water pooling damage. During heavy rainfall or snowfall, the accumulated water tends to flow downhill due to gravity.
However, if the land has no slope or is uneven it can result in poor drainage. And, if the slope is towards your house, it can cause the water to accumulate against your house and cause damage to its foundation such as cracks and even cause flooding in the basement. If such problems are not taken care of immediately, it can result in other issues such as mold formation and foundation setting.
Land grading done by professionals ensures that the slope of the land is adjusted such that the water and snow drain away from your house and towards the section that is filled with vegetation so that they receive proper moisture.
3. It improves the aesthetics of the property and makes it look more appealing – Nobody likes a lawn that is filled with holes or dips and downs that create stagnant water pools that attract harmful insects and spread disease. Not to mention, an uneven lawn surface is also a health hazard since you can trip and fall if you are not careful. Plus, it can make certain parts of your property unusable.
Professional land grading helps to solve all these problems and improves the aesthetics of your property since it helps to create a smooth and even lawn.
4. It increases the usable space on your property – Land grading makes it possible to use your entire landscape, even the ones that were previously deemed unusable. For instance, the installation of a driveway, walkways, playgrounds, sitting areas, patio, and more require a smooth surface and an appropriate slope. If there are holes and bumps in your lawn, it is not possible to install such features.
In fact, proper land grading is required for constructing outdoor features such as volleyball courts and swimming pools since they require a flat surface.
5. It makes it easier to maintain your lawn – In order to create a beautiful lawn and landscape, it is necessary to maintain healthy plant life on your property. However, that can become a challenge if the water tends to pool up on certain sections of the lawn area since this can damage the plants.
In worst cases, the uneven surface can cause soil erosion and erode the healthy topsoil that contains all the necessary nutrition that the plant life in your lawn and garden needs to survive or thrive. This is common if your property has steep slopes which cause the water to run downhill. Land grading changes the slope of the lawn and redirects the flow of water away from the plant life so that they can remain healthy. Plus, it makes it easier to use the lawn mower which helps to maintain your lawn better.
I, Mark Roemer, suggest you hire a reputed professional for your land grading project. The cost of land grading will depend on various factors such as the size and accessibility of the property, the condition of the soil and terrain, the amount of dirt removal and filling required, and more. Still, you should definitely consider land grading for creating a high-quality and beautiful landscape on your property.
Sometimes, land grading and surface smoothing will require the installation of additional topsoil. This will ensure a healthy foundation for the plants on our lawn and also improve the curb appeal of your property.