I, Mark Roemer Oakland, believe that you can decorate your patio with suitable outdoor furniture to turn it into a place for relaxing retreats, fun, and entertainment. You can host small parties and social events, and simply hang out with your family and friends whenever you want.
However, all patio and deck furniture are not created equal, and you should definitely research carefully before purchasing them. Otherwise, they can become a costly investment that you have to replace before long to preserve the aesthetic appeal and charm of your patio.
Tips & Tricks
Here are a few tips you can follow to choose the best patio deck furniture:
1. Consider the location and space – It is essential to measure the usable outdoor area and consider its layout before choosing patio deck furniture. Otherwise, you could purchase a piece of furniture such as a stellar sectional sofa only to realize it doesn’t fit on your patio. Thus, ensure you get the exact measurements of the patio so that you can select the furniture with the correct dimensions.
It is also important to consider the traffic flow and shape of the area. For instance, check how narrow, wide, and curved the space is. The goal is to purchase deck furniture that won’t hinder the flow of traffic around it.
2. Select furniture suitable for the local weather – It is critical to select patio furniture that is suitable for the weather in your region to help preserve their condition for the long term. For instance, wooden patio furniture is not suitable for hot climates since it can crack and splinter under the hot sun. It can also dull and discolor the paint, bleach fabrics, and degrade synthetic materials such as plastic.
Flimsy aluminum furniture can get thrown away during strong gusts of wind. Iron can survive the sun but will degrade in the rain and salty air. That is why it is recommended you select patio furniture that is made weather-resistant such as wooden furniture with a special coating and finish that protects them from UV rays.
3. Think about your usage requirements – Visualizing how you plan to use your outdoor space can help you select suitable deck and patio furniture. For instance, a comfy couch, a few lounge chairs, and a coffee table would be appropriate if you want to hang out with your friends and enjoy some snacks, casual drinks, and games. However, if you want to host guests, you will need a patio dining set with an expandable dining table and armchairs.
Similarly, you have to think about your personal style requirements. For instance, chaise lounges with sophisticated stainless steel cocktail tables would be suitable for a modern patio design. On the other hand, an elegant wrought iron set of dining furniture with a bold ceramic tile tabletop would be suitable for a hacienda-style home.
4. Inspect the comfort level – Most people purchase patio furniture for relaxing in a safe space on their property. That’s why the comfort level of deck furniture can become the deciding factor when you are confused between several different furniture options with different designs and features.
Fortunately, there is no shortage of patio furniture that provides optimal comfort. For instance, you can choose deck furniture with plush, quick-drying foam cushions that allow you to comfortably sink your body when sitting. Furniture with fabric slings and webbing made with lightweight synthetic weaves can stretch and conform to your body contours.
Also, ensure you select patio deck furniture that features an ergonomic design. For instance, when selecting deck chairs, sofas, and sun loungers, ensure they are designed to offer spinal alignment and pressure on key body points, have good seating and leg inclination angle, and armrest.
5. Examine the material quality – The material quality of deck furniture will determine how long it will last. Generally, it is recommended you avoid purchasing cheap furniture that compromises on materials quality and purchase furniture from reputed brands that offer long warranties.
It is also recommended you research the pros and cons of different material types for your use-case scenario and local weather condition. For instance, you can select furniture with heat-resistant and colorfast upholstery or metal frames that are painted instead of powder-coated to protect them from corrosion.
6. Check the maintenance requirements – No matter the type of patio furniture you select, it is important to maintain them properly to preserve their condition and protect them from wear and tear. However, some patio furniture requires less maintenance and is easier to clean while other furniture can get dirty pretty easily and have to be stored when not in use to preserve its condition.
We recommend you choose deck furniture that is scratch-resistant and impervious to water damage and warping. Preferably, you should be able to clean them with soap, water, and a brush. It is a plus if they have removable parts that can be stored or replaced easily. And, ideally, they should come with suitable protective covers that can keep them safe in a shed or garage during the off-season.
7. Consider the accessories and accents – Outdoor furniture would feel incomplete without suitable accessories and accents. For instance, you can invest in outdoor umbrellas and shades to enjoy sunlight and UV protection that will protect your eyes and skin. You can add a portable fire table, or fire pit, or create a dedicated fireplace to create a warm and welcoming ambiance. Just ensure you have adequate ventilation in the space.
A variety of weather-proof outdoor rugs can complement the decor and beauty of the different patio furniture with their design and color. You can also add a few fade-resistant pillows to improve the visual appeal of the outdoor space.
I, Mark Roemer Oakland, suggest you don’t prioritize style or price over substance when selecting patio deck furniture for your home. It can be tempting to select stylish patio chairs or couches that are cheap for your home. However, if they are not comfortable or made with durable materials, they would become a bad investment. The most important thing is to research the product features thoroughly and ensure they would be suitable for use in all weather conditions.